The city of Pensacola announced that its CNG vehicles have now switched to renewable natural gas, contributing to the city’s overall Renewable Energy Goal. The change was made possible through an agreement signed by Pensacola Energy to purchase biomethane for use in the city’s vehicles that previously used CNG.
The city of Pensacola has 87 CNG vehicles in its fleet, including garbage trucks, recycling trucks, and Pensacola Energy crew service vehicles.
Renewable natural gas is produced from natural decomposition of organic materials in landfills where the methane is captured and converted to pipeline quality biomethane, displacing the use of fossil-based natural gas.
For 2023, this initiative moves Pensacola 7.62% closer to its 30% renewable energy by 2030 goal. Next year, this project will represent 15.25% renewable energy usage for the city. Combined with 6.2% received from Florida Power and Light, this advances the city to an estimated 21.45% renewable energy by 2024 – a milestone of two-thirds of the way to its 30% renewable energy goal with six years left to achieve it.
Source: City of Pensacola